Tuesday, January 9, 2007

What's behind the excuses?

I’m going to ask you to get real with me here. I’m not going to sit up here on my soapbox and tell you that you just need more self control and discipline to lose weight. I’m also not going to give you another fad diet or celebrity weight loss secret (ps- all those “secrets” still all boil down to the same formula – eat less + move more = weigh less).

What is really going on?

Why is it that you can make time for everyone else in your life, but not yourself? Most of us even take more time out to do something nice for a complete stranger than we do ourselves!

It’s time to stop the excuses. We all use the “I don’t have time” reasoning to get out of taking responsibility for our health, yet somehow we still have time to watch up to 8 hours of television or surf the internet in a day. Why? Because we enjoy TV a lot more than we enjoy exercise! And hey, I am just as guilty of not putting my health first sometimes. But the first step to change is to acknowledgement. We’ve got to stop linking ‘healthy’ with punishment. ‘Healthy’ is not only about eating rabbit food and running on a treadmill. I promise.

I’m gong to ask you to get a little selfish when it comes to taking care of yourself. Just try this one thing, everyday, this month, and see what happens:

Think more about how you feel and less about how you’ll look.

What does that statement mean to you? Maybe it means: “I will eat only until I am satisfied, not until I am stuffed because it will make me feel so much better and give me more energy after my meal.” Or, maybe it means: “I will try that new step class tonight, and worry less about how I will look to everyone else and more about how great I will feel after I finish, knowing I took on a new challenge, did my best and didn’t allow myself to be intimidated.” Whatever it means for you, see if you can incorporate this concept into your life everyday this month and just see what happens.

Let me know how it goes :-)