Wednesday, February 7, 2007

The power of simplicity

I had the wonderful opportunity to take a great walk on the beach with a good friend this morning on this beautiful day here in Miami. While we were walking on the white sand, with the sun shining down on us, gazing at the crystal clear aquamarine water, I had one of those moments when you step outside of yourself and look around and say, “Wow! This is my life!” Needless to say, it was a fantastic start to the morning.

Now I know we don’t all live on the beach (I know, I hear those of you who are stuck in inches of snow cursing me right now), but there is something beautiful and inspiring in your environment somewhere (even if it may be buried in snow at this moment). Maybe you can go for a walk today in your snowshoes – admiring the way the sun makes the snow sparkle and enjoying the crunching of the snow beneath your feet. Snowshoeing happens to be an amazing workout – it is possible to burn up to 1,000 calories an hour!

My point is that it is so easy to overlook the simple things. Don’t get so carried away with forcing yourself to the gym in order to squeeze in a 45-minute cardio session – sometimes all it takes is a walk outside. Fitness begins from within. Start the change from the inside, and soon your outside will reflect that same great energy. Appreciate and work with what you have today, while you continue to build a foundation of change for tomorrow.

Enjoy the day!